Rachel has been talking all day about the election. They did some informal election at school which had McCain win. As we were watching some of the election stuff she saw how many states Obama had won. She then says "We like McCain but most people don't. I don't know why." Politics has not been something we have discussed in front of our kids so we had a conversation that went something like
Me: Why do you like McCain?
Rachel: Because he is nice and handsome and a little cute.
Me: Why don't you like Obama?
Rachel: Because he is bad.
After a discussion about bad and good and that we might feel others might be better for a job doesn't make people bad she then replied.
Rachel: "Well he(Obama) is not as cute or handsome as McCain."
Me: "Is there anything else you don't like about him?"
Rachel: "Well he looks like Jose and I don't like Jose he is not my best friend."
Politics through the eyes of a 7 year old. At least she has criteria.
Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I do believe her logic is as good and mature as many others in our nation.
Ali wanted McCain to win yesterday too. When it was apparent that Obama was going to win she was angry with me. You see I voted for Romney.... I couldn't in good conscience vote for anybody else and she was sure since I didn't vote for McCain that I voted for the enemy. I have never seen a six year old so angry...over something she really knew nothing about.
Hilarious!
When we were driving around town one day we saw a group of people with "No on 8" signs. We happened to have a "Yes on 8" sign in the car where Ethan could reach it. He held it up squarely to the window so they could see it. I felt a little embarassed that they would feel harassed but realized that wasn't his intention when put down his sign and said with certainty in his voice,
"There! I convinced them. Now they will vote yes."
Well, at least it is over, and we just have to wait and see what the next 4 years will bring. My mom is convinced it will be communism. I love the spider house though. Very cool. I really wish that was all it took to keep spiders out.
That is so funny!
I could totally see her saying that.
Post a Comment