Last Thursday Jessica had to go out visiting teaching and left me with the kids minus Katie. I was job hunting upstairs and the kids had been sent down to take care of the toy room. Rachel decided that there was not enough effort on behalf of the the other two and started bossing them and trying to kick them out of the toy room. All of a sudden there was a blood curdling scream and feet stomping up the stairs.
I met Rachel at the top of the stairs with blood dripping from her hand covering her eye. Todd had taken a storage bin and conked her in the face and cut her on the eyelid. When she turned he took the opportunity to make sure his message was driven home by conking her on the back of the head. We got some towels and put pressure to stop the bleeding. I went down to deal with the offender.
He tried to run away and I got him by the waist of his pants at which point he leaned back and fell out of his britches and diaper. Now upside down with his pants at his ankles (don't ask me how he managed that) I realized he had a dirty diaper so he had to be taken into the bathroom to be cleaned up. I opted for the spray down with the shower water approach. All this while Rachel is screaming. She had quit bleeding rather quickly and was enjoying screaming and crying while I was cleaning Mr. stinky pants.
I now realize that I have no band-aids or vehicle in which to take children because Jessica had taken the van with the band-aids and car seats. this was about 7:30. The bleeding is stopped and we worked on cleaning Rachel up and she is almost calm until I tell her I need to look and see if she might need stitches. More weeping and wailing but now there is no blood flowing. The cut is fairly shallow and the bleeding is stopped and no stitches needed is announced. A butterfly bandage to hold it shut should suffice. At 9:15 I finally called Jessica to tell her it was time to come home because she had the first aid kit in the car with the butterfly bandages.
9:30 Jessica arrives First aid kit has no butterfly bandages
9:45 Rachel and I go to the store to find butterfly bandages. No boxes of butterfly bandages. I have to buy a cheap first aid kit that carries them for the 1 bandage I needed.
10:10 driving home informing Rachel we are going to put alcohol on to get the wound clean so that she doesn't get an infection... more weeping and wailing.
10:20 Alcohol goes on still same weeping and wailing from 10:15 but now with cause
10:30 pain gone still weeping and wailing because she is angry with dad for taking care of her.
but now finally in bed.
At least Jessica took the cell phone.
2 comments:
ouch!
Ah, the balm of brotherly kindness. We're definitely familiar with it:)
Here's to a quick recovery for Rachel.
Post a Comment