This is just to add to my little Claire's story at the doctors office. After everyone had shown the doctor their belly buttons, the doctor went back to examining Katie. Claire pipes up and says, "My brother has a peanut on his bum bum." I don't think the doctor caught it but I was throughly embarrassed. We apparantly haven't taught her body anatomy yet. I don't know when I should teach her but if she is going to spout it out in public, I think I will wait till she older. What do you think?
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I think it is good for kids to know, even if they do speak up in public. It is what it is called, and just clarifying that they shouldn't really use that particular word in public is cool. I think even if the doctor would have caught it, I think he probably would have laughed. I know I would have. Do I sound like a mom or what? Here is another try, "EEEEEWWWWWW!! She said what? That is so against the plan, and I am sure that it is in the word of wisdom somewhere. You need to punish her until she is old enough to go on a mission." Take your pick I guess. :-) lol!
I think that it is a good idea to teach them. My girls only have girls to look at which creates an interesting situation. My 3 year old told me that a play mate had a tail. I think that if they know the right words at least when you have to explain the rest you don't have to start from scratch.
When I taught in the preschool at Rick's Colledge we had little plastic baby dolls that the kids could bathe. The dolls were anatomically correct and our professors required us to use the correct names if the kids asked us about anything. It was kind of awkward at first, but I think it makes sense to teach them the right names. If they are going to talk about it, which they invariably do, they might as well be using the right vocabulary!
Yep. I agree. She may blurt it out in public, ever one may laugh, but they'll also know that you taught her correctly.
It is a weird subject to teach, but an important one. As soon as the boys asked about their bodies, we taught them correctly. My boys know every word and body part on their bodies, but I don't have any reason to teach them girl parts yet...because I'm the only girl in the family. I did teach them about private parts and that girl's chests are also private parts. They also know that they don't discuss or show their private parts to anyone and if anyone tries to touch their parts or see them, they are to tell Michael and I, no matter what! (because that is what bad guys do).
Post a Comment